Tour Details/Frequently-Asked Questions
1. What’s included in the $2,550 land-only price of the 2013 Camino de Santiago Sampler Tour?
– Transportation from Madrid to León where the tour begins, and all transfers from Leon to Santiago de Compostela.
– 7 nights in hotels and country manor houses with private bathroom, twin accommodations. (Single room supplement: $400)
-Breakfast each day, Welcome Lunch, and Farewell Dinner.
-Daily Spanish lessons(optional) and supported Spanish conversation.
– Van support to daily hiking with cell phone coverage to enable everyone to hike at their level.
– 24/7 tour leader support, and daily guide/driver services.
– Guided tours of Leon, Lugo and Santiago de Compostela.
– Guided visits through places of interest like Arzúa Honey Museum, and San Martin Pinario Monastery.
– Detailed information packet, and route map.
– Pilgrim Kit. (Includes backpack, hat, Pilgrim’s passport, and shell etc.)
2. What’s not included?
– Round trip airfare to Madrid.
– Airport transfers and transfers to van pick-up in Madrid.
– Return transfer from Santiago de Compostela.
– Medical or travel insurance. (See #7)
– Passport and visa fees. (No visa needed for U.S. citizens.)
– Optional services, tours and fees. ( See #3 & 4)
3. Can I add on any additional activities for a fee?
Each day we’ll focus on the daily Camino hiking and Spanish lessons, but there will be opportunities to add afternoon trips to places of interest using our van and driver.
4. How many miles are we walking each day?
The distance you walk each day will depend on your own personal goals and what you want to do on that day. The tour is set up so that people who choose to earn the Pilgrim’s Certificate can walk the last 100km. of the Camino Frances required to earn the certificate. The daily stages to do this will range from 10-15 miles per day.
However, you can totally enjoy the walks through the beautiful countryside and take in all the historic sites at your own pace. We’ll be van supported for the morning hike and every 2-3 hikers will have a cell phone to call in support when they are done hiking for the day. On the Camino, you are never far away from a cafe or a place to stop and relax for break before you head out. It’s not a wilderness trail but a walk through Spanish life today as well as medieval history.
4. Can I extend my stay?
We’ll be happy to help you add on days before the tour in Madrid or after the tour in Santiago de Compostela and northern Spain. Please let us know what your interest is when booking the tour.
5. What is the payment schedule?
– To hold your place on the tour, send an application and $500 deposit to Camino de Santiago Sampler, 6 Cooleyville Rd. Ext., New Salem, MA 01355 by February 15, 2013. (Check made out to Camino de Santiago Sampler.)
– Places will be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. This is a small group tour of not more than 12 people.
– The final payment of $2,050 is due on April 15, 2013.
6. What if I need to cancel?
If an emergency arises and you need to cancel, we will refund your payments on the following basis, unless the cancellation takes place due to force majeure. All requests for refunds must be in writing.
– Cancellation by April 1: Full refund minus $100 cancellation fee.
– Cancellation by May 1: Full refund minus $400 cancellation fee.
– Cancellation after May 24: No refund.
There are no refunds for people without appropriate travel documents. There are no refunds for unused services included in the trip, such as hotel, breakfasts, guided tours. The absence, or lack of contact, from any participant in the tour, without prior written cancellation, carries the total loss of the amount paid until that date.
7. Does the tour provide travel or medical insurance?
We are not charging a mandatory travel/medical insurance fee like some tour groups, but we recommend that people consider travel insurance by consulting their own insurance agent. Although we cannot endorse or recommend any travel insurance company, some of the names in the travel insurance industry that you can review on the web are: www.travelguard.com; www.tripmate.com; and www.globaltravelshield.com.